
I know, it's been a loooooong time. I had very good intentions when I started this and then life got in the way.
I've been craving burgers, not just any vegan burger, but eggplant and fried green tomatoes on a whole grain bun with all the trimmings. Nom.
We have started restricting the consumption of fried (in oil) foods to the weekend. Consesquently my cravings had to wait for the weekend. So Friday evening I started my search for the elusive green tomato.
I called every grocery store within reasonable distance, no go. I tried the little old man about 6 blocks away who always has tomatoes for sale, nada. I even called my friends (and acquaintances) who garden, bupkis. Who knew that green tomatoes could be so hard to find. I mean come on people, they are practically a religion around here!
"You, still goin' to the Church of the Pickled Okra?"
"Naw, found out they were using the premade stuff from the grocery store. We're goin' to the "Fried Green Tomato Chapel" now. You really gotta know your stuff to make those come out right"
Finally yesterday morning we were at this little hole in the wall flea market south of town. Lo and behold this one little old lady had one, count'em - ONE basket of green tomatoes left. I had found Valhalla.
These burgers that I had been craving lived up to and exceeded my expectations. If I hadn't been so lazy I would have made burger buns. Vegan burger buns it turns out are harder to find than green tomatoes. Orowheat brand sandwich thins toasted stood in nicely though.
These were so easy to do a recipe is really not necessary.
Slice your eggplant about 3/8 - 1/2 in thick. Fry with a whisper of olive oil and lots of garlic.
Mix about 3/4 c flour, 1 1/2 t italian seasoning, and 1 T nutritional yeast.
Slice tomatoes about 1/4 in thick and dredge in flour mixture. Fry in olive oil.
Place one slice eggplant and one slice fried green tomato on whole grain bun of choice, add your favorite burger toppings. Prepare to sigh, loudly and long.

No comments:
Post a Comment